RE: [CH] What to do with Thai peppers?

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:34:08 -0400

My favorite way to can Thai chiles is simple and tasty and is a method more
than a recipe -- for each pint of chiles you'd like to pickle, you will need
about 3/4 lb. of chiles, 1.25 cups of white vinegar, and 1.5 teaspoons of
kosher salt.

As always with canning, the final amount is not exact, so I always prepare
for having 2 or 3 more pints than what I think I am making (i.e., sterilize
some extra jars, rings, and lids).

1.  Put all of your chiles into a food processor and grind them into, say,
1/4-in. chunks.

2.  Boil your jars for at least 10 minutes and leave them in the water until
ready for use (pot #1).

3.  Boil lids for 1 minute and leave in water until ready to use (pot #2).

4.  Bring your white vinegar to a simmer in a third pot.

5.  Once your vinegar is boiling, remove your jars from the water and pack
your ground chiles into them, leaving about 1/2 in. of headspace.  Add 1.5
tsp. of kosher salt to each jar, and cover with boiling vinegar.  Seal the
jars.

6.  Process in a hot water bath for about 10 minutes and then store in a
cool, dry place for about 2 weeks before use.

I know this sounds simplistic, and I'm not real sure about the food
chemistry that's going on, but I've got to say that this is one case where
the whole is much, much greater than the sum of the parts.  I use this stuff
on absolutely everything -- use the vinegar for vinaigrettes, chiles stirred
into mayonnaise, season beans, stir fry, pasta, sandwiches, etc.....

Obviously, you can use any type of chile -- I have had great success with
Thai hots, habanero, jalapeno, serrano, and cayenne.

I will post some more chile-laden canning recipes tomorrow when I can get
them in front of me.  Good luck.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Geosystems Group, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology