Re: [CH] California Agricultural rules

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:35:32 -0700

At 11:36 PM 9/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm wondering... In this day and age, What do the civil
>libertarians have to say about the SS snooping through their
>motorhome as they enter California? What if the fruit nazis
>spotted something illegal such as a baggie of pot or something
>politically incorrect such as a firearm or a pornographic picture
>of someone under 18?

They are supposed to be looking strictly for agricultural products.  If
they see a flagrant law violation, they have the option to notify to call
for help.

>Or can the cops in California search any
>vehicle at any time for anything illegal?

Thank the (mostly Republican) Supreme Court.  Most of the restrictions on
vehicle searches by police officers have been removed.

It's nice to joke about this, but please respect the quarantine
laws.  There may be eggs on the plants that could hatch.  Calif. is already
facing severe problems from insects that have gotten through
quarantine.....These include fire ants, the glassy winged sharpshooter,
Africanized bees, several species of fruit flies and others.    Fruits
being sent to foreign countries is having to be treated as others don't
want our pests. Something that could cost many millions of dollars.

Go to http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/summary.htm and you can get a list of
some of the pests they are trying to keep out.

                          		Scott Peterson

--

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.