Re: [CH] Chile-Heads Digest V8 #424

Cameron Begg (begg.4@osu.edu)
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:35:18 -0400

Hi C-H's,

Mary-Anne wrote:

>I made the comment chiles in India weren't Cayenne.  Well, it was pointed out
>to me that they all are.  Well, what I was trying to say was they aren't our
>common cayenne we have in the US of A.

I don't think anyone is right or wrong here. Most of the chiles grown
in India are C. annuum, which as we know interbreed so fast it's
almost impossible to keep a particular cultivar "pure" without taking
to extreme precautions. People call them all "cayennes" because they
mostly look like cayennes. Some, such as the Lal Mirch (red pepper)
that M-A mentioned are smooth skinned but still the same sort of size
and shape as cayennes. This year I grew the "long" peppers that she
mentioned and they also look like large cayennes.

>Any input of other Indian Chiles greatly appreciated.  Thai as well!

Dundicut peppers (C. chinense) are widely used in Pakistan and so I
would be surprised if they were not also to be found in India. These
are clearly NOT cayennes!
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.