Re: [CH] HEAT FROM THE ROOT

dougandmarie (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Fri, 09 Nov 2001 23:31:54 -0800

Fred Morris wrote:

> Now I may be wrong, but I thought (like Uncle Dirty Dave hints) that<snip>
> pure than the domestic stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I like the rush from
> both mustard and "the root" as much as El Grande, but I think they are
> two different things.
>
> Speak up experts

I don't consider myself an expert on mustard, but do know a litle about
it. English mustard Keen's, Colman's,same company, is pure, ground
mustard seed,a blend of brown and white seed, quite likely grown in
Canada. We supply the largest percentage of the world's mustard, grown
in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and the Chinese mustard is similar, being
pure ground mustard seed, and once again, also supplied by that English group.
To make the type of mustard used in English homes(Chinese also) a simple
mix of mustard and water in used. English purists would never add
anything else, perhaps a grain of salt. I have mixed white dry wine, and
occasionally chile powder, but never horse radish, because they are two
very distinct flavours, and I enjoy both. If I put mustard on meat, and
horse radish on another piece for the next mouthful there are two
distinct sensations of heat, and both are enjoyable. That runny yellow
stuff sold for hot dogs, is an abomination, imho! Cheers, Doug in BC who
was fed roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, with English mustard, at least
once a week, while growing up....and for all those who know my feelings
about lamb, got that every other week, with mint sauce, another Limey
favourite! Except that it was mutton, which my mother loved and I hated!