Re: [CH] Brats (Currywurst)

4wintermute@gmx.net
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 18:28:16 +0100

On 4 Dec 2001, at 12:16, Love2Troll wrote:

> And, what about a decent Currywurst? That's about the most famous fast food
> here in good ole Germany, and you could make it really hot. :-)~<<
>
> Oh boy!  This sounds good.  Love curry, & love wurst.  Any recipes?  Any
> sources?

It's a mystery. The sauce is the key component. Grill Bratwurst as per usual,
cut into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle curry powder on it, and then pour the
sauce on top. Serve with french fries.

As the legend goes, this dish has been invented in Berlin in 1949 by the
owner of a fast food stand. As the legend further goes, this might have been
a post-war thing where you had to use what you could get. As a matter of fact
it seems, currywurst has been patented in 1959.

I've found only one reference so far how you would actually *make* the sauce -
- and it said it's simply ketchup diluted with water. (Ketchup is too thick.)
Yuck! At any rate, it's some kind of tomato-based sauce, so you could very
well experiment a little bit on your own. Maybe mix ketchup and broth, or
something like that. Keep the currywurst tradition alive! A German artist
even published a song a while ago devoted to currywurst . . . ;-)

wolf