Re: [CH] chile cheesecake?

David Cook (zeb@austin.rr.com)
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:03:41 -0600

Here's the recipe for my wife's habanero-lime cheesecake (might as well milk
this one more time). Too hot for your mother I'm sure, but you can make her
a lime cheesecake (which is also quite good) simply by leaving the habaneros
out of the recipe.

Cream cheese is just fine for cheesecakes.

David "Zeb" Cook

Habanero-Lime Cheesecake

(Since my wife cooks by taste and eye, and every time she makes it she
fiddles with the recipe, some of these measurements are a bit of a guess.)

Crust:
1-2 cups Wheatmeal biscuits (or graham crackers), ground to crumbs
Melted butter
Pinch of salt

Filling:
24 oz. cream cheese
2 T. heavy cream
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of about 1 - 2 limes
Pinch of salt
4 large eggs
1 cup of sugar
3 habaneros
2 T. sugar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Set an rack in the middle of the oven.
Place a baking pan on a rack below this. Boil a kettle of water.

Mix the crumbs and salt together, then add butter to make the mixture hold
together but remain slightly crumbly. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping and
press the rest into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Set
aside.

Roast the habaneros over an open flame and set them to steam under a towel.
When cool enough to handle, peel and deseed. (The usual warnings about fans,
maybe even gloves, goes here.) Pound in a mortar with 2 T. sugar until you
have a coarse paste.

Cream the cream cheese, then add the sugar and salt. Beat in the eggs one at
a time until incorporated. Add the cream. Beat the zest and lime juice into
the filling. Add the habanero paste last and beat until well mixed. Pour
into the crust. Gently tap the pan to level out the filling. Sprinkle the
reserved crumbs over the top.

Pour the boiling water into the pan in the oven and put the cheesecake on
the rack above it. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until the cheesecake
pulls away from the edge of the pan. Remove from the oven and let set for 20
minutes. Wrap and place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or keep in the
refrigerator overnight.

Garnish with slices of lime and a whole habanero in the center.