Re: [CH] Dutch Process Cocoa

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:30:48 -0600

Chad A Gard wrote:

> The Ghiradelli coca is hard to find - the stores tend to sell Ghiradelli's
> chocolate (ie, sweetened), and you could probably modify my recipe to work
> with it.  The Nestle brand cocoa isn't too bad, ...

  Ok, after searching yet another store (that makes two, for those of you
keeping score at home), I just broke down and bought the "Ghirardelli
chocolate, Premium Baking Cocoa, Sweet, Ground Chocolate and Cocoa".  I thought
it was more expensive until I took a closer look today, and realized that the
$4.00 container is 16 oz., as compared to the $2.50-ish container of Hershey's
that is only 8 oz.  Nothing on any container said anything about them being
Dutch processed except one that I can't recall the brand of (saw it Friday)
that said it was a blend of Dutch and semi-sweet.... or something.  Anyway,
this one was the only one with hot chocolate recipes printed on the label that
DIDN'T say to add sugar; so I felt safe with the decision.

  Now, how would I, as mentioned above, modify the recipe for the Ghirardelli?
I'm thinking maybe just leave out the powdered sugar.... or at least reduce the
amount???

  Thanks,

--
Erich