Re: [CH] testbed for new spices?

L Anderson (lowella@serv.net)
Sat, 04 May 2002 20:30:36 -0700

Ed Stites wrote:

> Tofo (sp)
> Back to lurk mode.
>
> Big Ed
>
> I just received a big batch of spices from Penzeys, most of which I've
> never had before.  I'd like to try them all out, to get a feel for what
> they taste like.  Anybody got any recommendations for a neutral base
> that's easy to cook?

Yes, Lumpy Dick!  It's bland as hell and easy to cook--basically just
cooked milk and flour.  As a child growing up, it was one of the few
staples we had to eat. If available, we would get cinnamon and sugar to
'kill the bland'.  It's quite filling, really not that bad, and will
give you a good base to test your spices.

Do a web search on 'Lumpy Dick' or check out
http://www.ldsseminaryfiles.com/DC/trek.htm.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson