[CH] Re: Piri Piri & Flying Peppers

Peter Moss (pmoss@yoda.alt.za)
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:31:28 RSA-2

> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:33:09 -0600
> From: Rob Solarion <solarion@1starnet.com>

> Thanks to all for your comments about Piri Piri Peppers.

That's what we do ;-)

[snip, it's the right thing to do]

> You know, it is sometimes difficult to believe that nobody
> outside of the Americas ever knew about any hot peppers before
> Columbus.  Surely there were some "Thai" peppers or whatever
> in Asia before that.  I can't believe that hot peppers spread
> to the rest of the world ONLY after Columbus.  But ... maybe
> so.

Also in the archives and there is an account from an Arab trader
in Africa, eeish! the memory fades that I posted around 13xx
eating chiles.  I found it see below.

There were many traders and journeys about which little is
known.  The Arabs and Dravidians covered much ground or should
that be water.  Add the polynesians and you have an interesting
puzzle to solve.  Chiles journeys clearly predate Columbus who
may have added to the popularity and availability but not the
first.

> As for flying with or without peppers, I personally have
> decided never to fly anywhere again, until some "sanity"
> returns to airline flight.

Sanity is within the airline industry, it's those fool
politicians that non chileheads keep voting into power.

Political sanity is arming F16s being flown by pimple face pilots
and being willing to shoot down the commercial airliners rather
than arm seasoned trained airline pilots.  Stupidity, paranoia
and political power grabbing do not mix well with chiles.

Much more interesting and on topic

My apology for the length but it maybe of interest to the new
members.