Re: [CH] Low Fat...Can Be Tasty- Oatmeal

Jack and Toni (jtblackford@intrepid.net)
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:06:12 -0400

To all you who eat oatmeal in the morning dont forget you are a chilihead!
We make ours with chicken broth instead of water, add black pepper, garlic
and of course lots of hot pepper powder on top, a little cheese if you can
and even a squirt of fat free salad dressing really makes a good chilihead
breakfast!  Oatmeal Jack

>I  am also a high cholesterol sufferer (although I live in denial, which as
>we all know, is not just a river in Egypt).  Helen and I discovered the
>following recipe in "Cucina Italiana" magazine and just love it.  The heat
>is nice as is, but you can make it as hot as you want.  Go on.. try it..
>you'll like it!
>

>spicy chickpea pasta
>
>1 10 ½ oz. Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
>½ cup olive oil
>1 dried chili pepper, crumbled (We use a mix of a few different ones we have
>on hand at the time)
>2 chopped cloves garlic
>1 onion, minced
>1 tbsp. Minced Italian parsley
>2 tbsp. Torn Basil leaves
>4 or 5 whole Basil leaves for touch
>1 bay leaf
>3 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
>salt and pepper
>½ pound pappardelle, broken into 2" lengths (or lasagna cut into pieces)
>1 cup fresh pecorino romano
>
>Process all but 1/4 cup of the chickpeas in a food processor with 1 cup of
>water until smooth.  Heat 1/4 cup of the oil with the chili and garlic in a
>1 qt. saucepan.  Add the onion, parsley, basil and bay leaf and cook,
>stirring for 5 minutes.  Add the Chickpeas (pureed and whole), tomatoes,
>salt and pepper.  Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes (stir every 10 minutes or
>so).
>
>Meanwhile, cook the pappardelle until al dente.  Fold the pasta into the
>chickpea broth, remove the bay leaf, and serve hot.  Drizzle with remaining
>olive oil and serve it up with the romano on the side.
>
>Add a nice arrangement of Basil leaves on top for a nice presentation.

Go Fishing with Jack on the Potomac River, MD, USA at:
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/rapids/8155