Re: [CH] OT canning in Canada...

Marilyn Reese (plantphreak@hotmail.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:21:27 -0700

Sounds like an entrepenuering type could jump on this though.  What you do,
see, is watch the factory where they make these lids, see.  And when they
diassemble the press that stamps the lids and put it on a truck, see, you
hijack the truck.  Set up a little shop stamping out the lids, gluing on the
rubber circles...

Perfect job for D&M now that they're retired!

Down here we have Ball jars.  The jars and rings will last forever, I can't
imagine how many home canners would go berserk if they ever stopped making
the lids!

And, to keep this on topic-I need to make some more pickled garlic with
peppers.  Down to half left of my last jar!  (I think I like the ones with
chipotle better than the hab ones, but they were all good.)

Marilyn
~~~~~~~
I've never heard of anyone on their deathbed saying they wished they had
waxed their floor more often.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Irvine" <dougandmarie@shaw.ca>
To: "Leslie Mandic" <rnonrun@bellsouth.net>
Cc: <chile-Heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] OT canning in Canada...

> Thanks Leslie.....we are already in trouble with these, unfortunately the
company has decided that  the heck with the thousands of folk in Canada who
> have used these jars for years, the Prairie Provinces, Manitoba,
Saskatchewan and Alberta, use these jars almost exclusively. Not to get on
the
> bandwagon about the US companys, who decide that we up here, aint
important enuf or big enuf or strong enuf to resist, their stupidities are
really
> causing big problems in the prairie provinces, who have used these jars
for ever, and are now forced by BIG BROTHER below us, sitting in an Ivory
> Tower, who decides that Nah!!! these few folk up in the far north dont
need theese jars....let them buy NEW ones...a different size! Unfortunately,
> this is what happens when companies merge, sell out to big bucks, etc. and
leave the poor consumer in the poop! We have two cases of them, which we
> will have to replace, and how I wish we could replace them with ANY
BLINKIN THING other than Bernardddeeeen! Sorry to be OT, Mike, but it really
is on
> topic....we do a lot of salsa, chutney, etc, in these jars....or we USED
to!  Doug & Marie in BC Canada, where it seems we are just the poor
relations