Re: [CH] Wooooo - Hooooo! Bargain Scotch Bonnets ',;--}

Shaun Rimmer (shaun@newtronic.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:20:06 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Myron Menaker <myronm@bellsouth.net>
To: Shaun Rimmer <shaun@newtronic.co.uk>
Sent: 07 October 2002 12:23
Subject: Re: [CH] Wooooo - Hooooo! Bargain Scotch Bonnets ',;--}

> Interesting story!

Cheers Myron ',;~}

> Thanks...I lived in Hampshire for two years..
> ....very nice "holiday!" :-)

Heheheh - I think I'd rather be in Florida!!!!

> Is this recipe available somewhere?
>
>       > (Including in my now famous mixed root veg. spiced mash)

Not so much a recipe as an 'idea' - a theme to build on/vary. Something like
this (how I made it this time) - increase/decrease (yeah right!) the heat to
suit the eaters!:

Serves 4-6 as the vegetable part of a meat and veg platter.

In a non-stick pan, place olive oil and butter (used about 1 oz butter, 2-3
tbsp o/oil); 3 or so cloves of garlic (mashed); 2 large red onions, 1 halved
and thinly sliced, the other finely diced; 1 dsrtsp to 1 tbsp fresh ground
black pepper; 2 Scotch Bonets and 2 (don't know their name - very 'cone'
shaped, green, and rather aromatic, fairly hot) peppers, finely chopped
(minced).

Put on the heat until sizzling, turn down and leave to slow saute.

Dice 1 medium swede (turnip thingy - whatever), 1 large carrot, 1 large
sweet potato, 5 medium ordinary potatoes (pick ones that are good for
mashing) so they will cook quickly and fairly evenly.

Stick 'em all in a pan with salted boiling water (_just cover_),
hardest/slowest cooking first (spuds on top) along with a whole Scotch
Bonnet burried in there.

While these are cooking, keep an eye on the spicy pan - you don't want
everything to caramalise. Turn off the heat if needed.

When the potatoes are nice and soft, skim off the scum from the rich and
orangy boiling liquid, and seive the veggies, pouring the liquid into the
spicy saute pan. Remove the whole chile (put it on your own plate if you are
the sole hardcore CH at the table ',;~} )

Put the veggies back in the pan, out of the way, and cover.

Fire the 'stock' and spicy stuff up on a high heat and reduce to 1/3 or less
by rapidly boiling. Pour into the veggies and mash a while. Add a handfull
or so of grated mature cheddar (we actually used Dubliner) and mash again.
The carrots, sweet spud and swede should stay coarse.

The cheese is not supposed to stand out, but rather adds good background
flavour.

Serve with sausages, steak, pork chops, lamb chops, etc. - scrummy!

My hosts loved this, and we had it with chicken breast parcels, stuffed with
tapanade, gorgonzola, wrapped in proscuitio, and cooked in white wine with
lemon thyme and shallots that 'Norri the hairy Scotsman' cooked up.

> Thanks again..

Thank you!

Remeber if you give this a shot, ypu can vary the veggie ratios, add or
subtract, make it hotter or milder etc. and _it will always be good_. Just
make sure to reduce the liquid enough so as not to end up wit a gruel puddle
on the plate, heheheheh (BT-DT!) ',;~}

> Myron in Florida

Shaun aRe - in Blackburn, Lancs. 'Rather be in Florida!'