RE: [CH] Hungarian Beef Gulyas

green (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:25:01 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Drum [mailto:xrated@ameritech.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 9:16 AM
To: green; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [CH] Hungarian Beef Gulyas

At 08:45 AM 10/29/2002 -0600, green wrote:
>I've no idea where I got this recipe; I've been making it for 30 years...
>Note:  I long ago quit measuring, and just follow the recipe for
>ingredients...
>
>*Hungarian Beef Gulyas*
>
>1 lb small what onions, peeled (NOT pearl onions!  For a real kick sub with
>1 lb hamburger onions sometime!  WOW!)

Couple questions -- "1 lb small what onions"  -- didja mean WHITE yon-yons?

Otay!  Otay!  Wasn't too wide awake yet and snot enuff coffee...  Yup!
Meant WHITE yon-yons.  Sorry.

"1 lb hamburger onions " -- Whatsis? What other name/description would I
know them by?

Dave, dear, there's yon-yons and there's yon-yons.  You've yellow, white,
red, hamboogers - which are also yellow, but way way stronger then
yellow-yellow yon-yons...  Pearl, and the small "whats" that come in a bag
(at least here...) o'like two lbs.

Pearls are like the size o'a walnut - don't want those.  Want the ones that
are a little smaller (+/-) than a baseball.  Unless o'course you REALLY want
some good onion flavor, then use the hamburger onions.  The hamboogers are
labled in the stupormarket "Hamburger Onions."  I don't do that too often as
man, the Guylas will talk to you for days - and give you nitemares...

And chuck roast will work well in this, too. Very well.  <GGG>

I do the bell peppers when I make gulyas since I like a bit of the kerosene
flavour they give. But, I do a mix of green, red and yellow capsicums for
the colour as well as the taste.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!