Re: [CH] Kure Na Paprice (Chicken Paprika)

Marianne Meisels (marandy@netvision.net.il)
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:04:22 +0200

Excuse me? As I recall, you weren't asking for a source for Czechoslovak paprika or
German (Wolfgang Puck recipe) paprika! You wanted a source to buy Szegedi csipos
eros (aka biting strong) paprika (as opposed to the edes nemes aka sweet) paprika in
order to make paprikas csirke, i.e. Hungarian chicken paprika. So why all the foreign
recipes?
I hesitated to send my family recipe for the same since the version I have and use is for
just one person with a large appetite or, as in my case, one with a small appetite who
enjoys eating it two days in a row! Still, I know feel I have to defend my family origins,
so here goes:

  Fry some chopped onion in margarine, butter or fat (the latter being preferable) in a
covered pot on a very low flame for about five minutes, until onions become soft
 and transparent.

 Add two half chicken breasts (I use the skinless boneless ones, but you can use any
cut up parts of chicken with or without skin and bones) and brown on all sides (10
minutes or so).
 Cut up one small-medium tomato, peeled (after 'poaching' it in boiling
 water) a little chopped red pepper and one chopped hot pepper (minimum).
Cover and cook on a low flame for a few minutes.

 Add 1 tablespoon of hot paprika and 1-1.5 cups of hot water. Cover and cook
 on a low flame for about an hour. If necessary thicken the gravy with one
 teaspoon of flour at the end.

Remember that the veggies and paprika quantities are for only 1 or 2 servings of
chicken, so up them to keep the ratio in keeping with how much chicken you're making.

My late mother used to make Hungarian dumplings similar to gnocchi to serve it with to
soak up the gravy, but I prefer to eat it "peasant" style with good crusty bread.

> From:  The Czechoslovak Cookbook, by Joza Brizova, et al.  Translated
> and adapted by Adrienna Vahala; Crown Publishers, 1965
>

> Kure Na Paprice (Chicken Paprika)
>
> 1 chicken, 3-4 lbs
> 1 medium onion chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped bacon or butter
> 1/2 TEAspoon paprika (that all?????????????)
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1/2 cup sour cream
> 2 TABLEspoons flour
>
> Cut chicken into small pieces.  Wilt onion in bacon or butter, add
> paprika, chicken, and salt, brown.  Add water, cover and simmer until
> tender (about 45 minutes).  Remove chicken from pan.  Mix sour cream
> and flour, stir carefully into pan; simmer gravy for 5 minutes.  Stain
> over chicken.
>
> Serves 4 to 5.
>
> green, CH #2156

Marianne