RE: [CH] Kure Na Paprice (Chicken Paprika)

green (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:01:27 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of Marianne Meisels
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 3:57 PM
To: green; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: RE: [CH] Kure Na Paprice (Chicken Paprika)

Where's your sense of humor? And no, I don't mean THAT literally either!

Mea culpa.  I really do have a sense o'humor, I yust didn't quite catch the
gist o'your note.

> Huh?   What brought this on?
>
> No, I didn't ask for a source for Czeck or German paprika.  And I
> didn't state just *why* I was looking for the hot Hungarian, but - in
> case you're interested - ittiz for my Gulyas.
Actually, you DID say it was for your Gulyas -- spelled correctly BTW which
most
people don't do! I simply found it amusing that none of the recipes people
sent in for
Chicken Paprika -- which is second only to Gulyas as a typically Hungarian
dish -- were
by Hungarians.

Yeah.  I R pretty proud I can spell it rite.  When I read "goulash," I quake
in my boots and think o'that YUCKY stuff I was raised on with hambooger,
corn, limas, et all.  BARF!  I, purrsonally, HATE goulash.

Maybe we don't gots too many Hungarians around here?  I'm sure we can work
on it.  I've never cared for Chicken Paprika like I do my Gulyas.  Yust
something, prolly, about the paprika, onions and beuf.

> Alex asked if I had a [family] chicken paprika recipe, and I don't.
> Told him I'd dig up the one outta my Czech book.  Was doing a fiend a
> favor...
I know that, it's just that I'm a tad sensitive when it comes to my
ethnicity. Actually, the
Czech recipe isn't too bad for a country whose main, if not only, spice is
caraway seeds!

Why so sensitive?  Stand up and be PROUD!!!  And share every single
mom/gran'ma recipe yous got!!!  I've snot been able to find a Hungarian
cookbook, so rely on my Czeck one as a stand in/close-enuff-to-a-blind-horse
cookbook.  Cast not aspersions upon the Czechs.  I hated both 'kraut and
caraway until I did my ribs...  Now I can even enjoy pump-her-nipple bread!

> We post tons of ethnic , i.e., "foreign", recipes around this joint.
> Ethenticity doesn't matter, just that some kind'a peeper's used.
> Heck! Lots o'times even *that* doesn't matter because the majority
> o'us are GREAT cooks and everyone knows it, so all recipes are
> appreciated [as any recipe can be made better with El Grande!!!  :D]
The quotes I put around foreign were meant to point out that it wasn't an
"authentic"
Hungarian recipe...

Oh.  Well, again, the discussion was on paprika(s) and not pure, authentic
recipes.

> And, truth be known, I'm enjoying all the neat paprika info that's
> been posted.  Nor'eastern Chileman sent a GREAT site that Dave o'Fiery
> Foods fame wrote, and it was absolutely FASCINATING!!!  :D
I'm fortunate in that I always know people who are going to Hungary and can
get me the
real thing and, in a pinch (ouch!) I can usually get authentic Hungarian
paprika over
here.

You are truly blessed, you lucky dog.

> Don't ever be afraid to post a recipe.  Can't guarantee it won't get
> bastardized in someway, but somebuddy here's gonna appreciate your
> efforts!
Thanks. Unfortunately, my mother was the only Hungarian cook I ever knew who
didn't
like spicy food... her original recipe used bell peppers and the sweet
paprika! My niece
and I put back the spice when we took over the kitchen!!!

Gods, but I hate bell peepers.  Only blessing o'The Great And Wunnerful El
Grande I can't stomach.  I'm thinkin' o'sauting up a couple o'ripe habs I've
got and trying those.  I'd use some o'my beloved stock o'chipotles, but...
think would give too much an Hispanic taste...  Still, may be worth a go.

green, CH #2156