RE: [CH] Kure Na Paprice (Chicken Paprika)

Marianne Meisels (marandy@netvision.net.il)
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:57:00 +0200

Where's your sense of humor? And no, I don't mean THAT literally either!

> Huh?   What brought this on?
>
> No, I didn't ask for a source for Czeck or German paprika.  And I
> didn't state just *why* I was looking for the hot Hungarian, but - in
> case you're interested - ittiz for my Gulyas.
Actually, you DID say it was for your Gulyas -- spelled correctly BTW which most
people don't do! I simply found it amusing that none of the recipes people sent in for
Chicken Paprika -- which is second only to Gulyas as a typically Hungarian dish -- were
by Hungarians.

> Alex asked if I had a [family] chicken paprika recipe, and I don't.
> Told him I'd dig up the one outta my Czech book.  Was doing a fiend a
> favor...
I know that, it's just that I'm a tad sensitive when it comes to my ethnicity. Actually, the
Czech recipe isn't too bad for a country whose main, if not only, spice is caraway seeds!

> We post tons of ethnic , i.e., "foreign", recipes around this joint.
> Ethenticity doesn't matter, just that some kind'a peeper's used.
> Heck! Lots o'times even *that* doesn't matter because the majority
> o'us are GREAT cooks and everyone knows it, so all recipes are
> appreciated [as any recipe can be made better with El Grande!!!  :D]
The quotes I put around foreign were meant to point out that it wasn't an "authentic"
Hungarian recipe...

> And, truth be known, I'm enjoying all the neat paprika info that's
> been posted.  Nor'eastern Chileman sent a GREAT site that Dave o'Fiery
> Foods fame wrote, and it was absolutely FASCINATING!!!  :D
I'm fortunate in that I always know people who are going to Hungary and can get me the
real thing and, in a pinch (ouch!) I can usually get authentic Hungarian paprika over
here.
> Don't ever be afraid to post a recipe.  Can't guarantee it won't get
> bastardized in someway, but somebuddy here's gonna appreciate your
> efforts!
Thanks. Unfortunately, my mother was the only Hungarian cook I ever knew who didn't
like spicy food... her original recipe used bell peppers and the sweet paprika! My niece
and I put back the spice when we took over the kitchen!!!

All the best,
Marianne