Re: [CH] Horseradish

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 09:08:56 -0500

Morning Diane,
  Have been growing for a few years. I always dig in spring to prepare it
for Easter meal celebration. I dig all roots because I've read that if left
in ground it becomes "woody", whatever that means. I take a few of the
smaller shoots & replant for next year. Here's a few helpful URL's:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1994/10-14-1994/harvest.html
http://www.gardenpower.com/projects/kitchen/00062.htm
http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/horserad.htm

As far as processing goes, you can control the "heat" by adding vinegar at
appropriate time. Try this URL for advice:

http://www.silverspringgardens.com/Info.htm

And lastly, what to do with your horseradish, try this URL:

http://www.horseradish.org/homepage.html

Hope this helps,
Paul
PS Remember reading someplace (may have even been on this list) that you can
use the leaves for pickling to reduce or eliminate vinegar.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Salts" <diannesalts@attbi.com>
Sent: Saturday, 02 November, 2002 1:25 AM
Subject: [CH] Horseradish

> Hi all!
>     My Dad asked me to ask about a horseradish that my mother planted. He
would like to know when the best time to dig it up would be and can we dig
up part or does it need to be all? Can we replant what we don't need?  Can I
use the leaves for anything?  I rather not kill the whole plant, but I know
nothing about growing horseradish. Oh BTW, It's been in the ground for
around 10 years