Re: Growing WAS Re: [CH] Two matters

Mike (bear1@videotron.ca)
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:09:55 -0500

At 05:27 AM 20/12/02 -0600, you wrote:

>From: "david roy andrews" <dandrews@wightman.ca>
>Subject: Re: [CH] Two matters
>

> > have read that peppers can cross pollinate and that your hot peppers
>should
> > be separated from sweet peppers, any comments and or advice? David Roy
> > Andrews zone 4b Hanover Ontario Canada
>
>I've heard the same thing. The jalepenos and serranos were virtually
>identical in their heat. Having the bell in there may also have lowered some
>of the heat, although it wasn't a very 'flowery' bush this year.
>
>-Hound

My experience is that cross pollination does not affect this year's crop.
I had a few plants this year that were 'Fatiliitabs', a mixture of Fatillii and
Tabasco. They were planted next to each other last year and voila did the
dirty deed. Looked like Tabascos on steroids and had a REAL good
kick, but wouldn't keep more than a few days. I have seen some data
that spacing requirements to avoid cross pollination are something like a
quarter mile. Pretty sure you'll get some better info from others on the list.

I have absolutely no printable opinion on Amerikan politics or PC's vs.Macs.
(Written on a PC using Eudora, is that cross pollinated?)

Mike - Montreal
CH#2175