Re: [CH] World's hottest pepper--not the Red Savina?

Inagaddadavida (rael64@qwest.net)
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:31:29 -0700

On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 03:18  PM, Mike Benson wrote:

>> From looking at the
>> pictures it would not seem even to be located in the cultivar
>> Chinense.  I've never seen a habanero or scotch bonnet that
>> set it's fruit vertically.
>
> Not taking sides here, but Wild Brazilian (aka Cumari) is from the
> Chinense species, and it sets its fruit vertically.  I've also grown
> Bode (another chile from Brazil with small pods) set has erect (vs.
> pendant) pods.  In fact, I can't think of any small-podded chile that
> doesn't have erect fruit.

Well, as a small-podded (well, average-podded at least) chilehead I
must admit my fruit is not always erect, no.  Over the years I have
discovered that certain things need to be provided in order for fruit
to be erect and *stay* that way, but if such is provided, erect fruit
is essentially guaranteed.  First is of course to make sure you're
using clean and sanitary growing medium.  No bugs, no turds!  Just good
fertile ground.  Should have a nice robust and earthy smell too.  If
you ensure this is present, of you'll have little problem getting fully
erect fruit. Plenty of sunshine (nothing grows in the dark except
fungus!) and water it as needed.  You can stress it and get hotter
fruit that will just explode in the mouth, but personally, I prefer my
fruit to get a good dousing every few days or so as it, well, seems
happier.  When my fruit is getting a regular doses of warmth and
nutrient-loaded liquid, well, it's erect as can be and just beaming
with joy.  I'm proud of my erect fruit, yes.

Blessings of El Grande.

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......

Rael64

"When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes,
the seeds of political manipulation are sown."
-Stephen Jay Gould-