Re: [CH] Chile De Arbol

Mary-Anne Durkee (shantihhh@yahoo.com)
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 17:01:39 -0800 (PST)

Frank

I thought I sent this, but it ain't showing up so here
goes and if it repeats.  SORRY!

This is a nice salsa for fresca de arbols.

Enjoy

Mary-Anne

 CHILE DE ARBOL SALSA

1/2 lb roma tomatoes
3/4 lb tomatillos, husked
40 arbol chiles (1 cup)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 c water
1 t salt
1/2 ts freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes and tomatillos
on a baking sheet.

Broil, turning occasionally, until charred all over,
10 or 12 minutes. Transfer to a saucepan along with
the remaining ingredients.

Bring to a boil and cook until the onions are soft, 12
to 15 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor or blender. Puree and
then strain.

Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.

Arbol salsa can be stored in the refrigerator 3 to 5
days or frozen for weeks.  This salsa thckens up in
the frig.