Re: [CH] vacuum sealers

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:44:03 -0500

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 09:30  PM, Karen wrote:

> in the budget at present.
>
> What brand is the mason jar sealer?  That would be great for all my
> dried
> veggies!

FoodSaver.  It's basically just a round thing with a vacuum port.  You
put the lid on the mason jar, then put the sealer on that, and suck the
air out.  Leaving you with a sealed mason jar that looks like it was
canned.  Of course, you can't use it as a substitute for canning, as
you can't vacuum hot foods (they boil up then), so you'd still need to
refrigerate something that would likely have a bacteriological problem.
  But, like you said, they'd be perfect for all of your dried veggies,
fruits, nuts, etc. etc., as well as for storing soups and such in the
'fridge.

Chad A Gard
INCHASE: <http://www.inchase.org>
PercussionAdvocates: <http://www.percussionadvocates.com>