Re: [CH] Chile spam?

Virginia Anderson (anderson.lists@ntlworld.com)
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:47:15 +0000

Hi all,

on 25/2/03 6:18 pm, Scott Peterson at scottp4@mindspring.com wrote:

> I just forwarded it to
>
> abuse@pleiadesgroup.com, abuse@uu.net,abuse@rs6.net,
> abuse@roving.com,  hostmaster@ROVING.COM, abuse@constantcontact.com,
> abuse@need2know.com
>
> Let them sort it out.

Doesn't the one to Pleiades Group just go back to Jim as domain holder?  And
the name Constant Contact doesn't indicate a strong anti-spam policy.  I
just always thought that sending the abuse notices back to the spammers just
confirmed your address?

>I just know that anything I get that starts:
>
>> Your address is currently included in Pleiades Group's list because you
>> are either a customer or have opt-in in some manner to receive email
>> communications from Pleiades Group.
>
> is someone I will never do business with.

That is what made me get in touch.  This is a lie.  I never have been a
customer, nor have I opted in to anything Jim de Lillo or the Pleiades Group
offered.  This isn't a CH-er telling us something nice about his or her
cottage hobby raising plants or making sauce; it's spam, as hard and as
cynical as the stuff which comes into my inbox from strangers.

Some time ago I joined a Yahoo music group and got tons of spam.  Funnily
enough, the spammers seemed to think that bass clarinettists really liked
girls doing athletic things with farm animals (or the webcam girls Alex
mentioned), or at least that's what most of the spam promised.  I had to
change my address.  I won't go on a Yahoo list again and, aside from
university lists I'm just a chilehead.

Because of this, I get very little spam; I have a throw-away list address,
just in case it builds up again.  Yet de Lillo chose my work address, which
I can't change, either because he harvested it from list traffic over a year
ago, or he cynically pulled it from a sig line I negligently left.

De Lillo then smirkingingly writes:

>You will not be spammed again, at least not by me :-)

and insists that all who have complained write to him, which is a spammer
trick.  If he meant it he could have removed all addresses of those who
complained on list himself.  We were left on precisely because he wants to
sell chiles or chile products or use chiles to lure us into whatever else he
was selling.

I seem to remember about spam being against the list rules.  If serious
spamming is grounds for removal, I think that a guy who harvests addresses
from the list and then sells or gives them to an email marketing firm is a
serious spammer.  Mike?

Grrr, Argh,
(more this time in the manner of the little monster at the end of Buffy)

Virginia