Re: [CH] Re: Growing in Pots

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:50:11 -0600

If you are looking for free pots check your local nurseries and landscaping companies.   After planting trees etc for their customers they are left with many containers to recycle or trash.  I've hauled off a couple hundred in a single day from one nursery alone.  They were glad to get rid of them.

Growing in containers is very enjoyable if you know what you are doing.  And it's even enjoyable for dullards like myself.

JohnT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Frank J. Hashek
  To: Chile Heads
  Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 9:18 AM
  Subject: RE: [CH] Re: Growing in Pots

  When a larger pot is required, 5 gallon buckets make excellent pots.  They
  are usually available free from fast food restaurants (they get pickles in
  them).  Also commercial truck service shops will get oil and hydraulic fluid
  in 5 gallon buckets, making a good wash necessary.

  It is a good idea to drill small holes for drainage in the bottom.  I put a
  layer of newspaper in the bottom to keep the dirt from washing out of the
  holes with the water.

  This works for both peppers and tomatos.

  Blue skies,
  Frank

  RisaG wrote:

  >Of the following, which would do best in the pots?

  Hello Risa.
  I'm sorry this is so late, I've been trying to catch up with 2 months of
  CH-archives.

  I have grown all types of Thais with great sucess in pots of almost any
  size. Serranos grow very well in pots but tend to get a bit leggy.  You're
  right about the habaneros.
  It's been my expierence that they will grow in large pots only
  (14"-16" across, 24" deep). Planting habs in small pots usually results in
  very stunted plants that yeild pea sized chiles.  I've also had great sucess
  with rocotos, Wax peppers, jalapenos, pequins and tepins.

  CH-eers,
  Rob Lusk
  http://www.PepperFool.com