Re: [CH] Re: Growing in Pots

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:06:49 -0600

"Frank J. Hashek" wrote:

> When a larger pot is required, 5 gallon buckets make excellent pots.  They
> are usually available free from fast food restaurants (they get pickles in
> them).  Also commercial truck service shops will get oil and hydraulic fluid
> in 5 gallon buckets, making a good wash necessary.
>
> It is a good idea to drill small holes for drainage in the bottom.  I put a
> layer of newspaper in the bottom to keep the dirt from washing out of the
> holes with the water.

  Hey, the newspaper idea sounds interesting...  I usually use a small layer of
gravel; coarse at the very bottom, then finer between that layer and the
dirt...  when I have it around in those sizes.  Otherwise, I just dump in a
little of whatever's on hand.

  The main problem I've encountered in using five gallon buckets is that they
are not in any way aesthetically pleasing, which means that the wife forbids
them being in the house, thus no overwintering...   :-(

--
Erich
C-H # 2099 & First Lieutenant of the Moderate Corps