Re: [CH] Felt a bit Crabby

Shaun Rimmer (shaun@newtronic.co.uk)
Thu, 22 May 2003 14:13:24 +0100

Original message from:
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 22:21:03 +0100
From: "Walter Spencer" <g0tuj@g0tuj.karoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [CH] Felt a bit Crabby

"Hi Ted. Guess I led you into the fog alright on this one. In this country
Tea is indeed a refreshing hot or cold drink of the Earl Grey type. But it
is also a meal, usually taken around five to six pm. It is a meal that I was
refering to. I might have known I would go and confuse everyone. Drat!

These Crabs are large, red and heavy legged. Great hard, heavy shell. Claws
with large pincers. Full of firm white meat and a delicious flavour. Shell
has lots of creamy, dark coloured, soft sweet meat. I need to know some way
of presenting these with a hot chile base. Got the little recipe off the
bottom of your reply and will sure use that. Hottest regards. Walt. An old
chile-head from the old country."

Shaun's reply:

Hey Walter - a bit late perhaps, but here is what I'd likely try:

Remove crab meat from shell/legs/claws etc, place into a bowl.

Add to this fresh ground white pepper (black will do too) to taste (I'd use
quite a lot). Add chopped chile to taste (whatever you feel like - try to
choose something with a nice fresh flavour - we have some short cone shaped
green (ripen to orangey-red if dried slowly) ones at the Asian grocers here
that I'd likely try). Add 'some' good butter - I'd do this by 'rack o't
theye' as they say around here (I'm useless with measures). Now, chopped
chives go in too, as do chopped fresh parsley and a few sprinkles fresh
lemon or lime juice.

Mix roughly, return to half shell, sprinkle with a _little_ finely grated
hard cheese if you so desire, and place under a hot grill until it's looks
done to your tastes.

Reckon that'd be lovely for tea!

Shaun aRe - very loosely based on something I saw Rick Stein do with a whole
crab once.