Re: [CH] Best time for transplanting

Babs Woods (babs@jfwhome.funhouse.com)
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:40:32 -0400

        Pods,

> Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:45:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CH] Best time for transplanting
>
> I find planting out after it hits 60 degrees at night
> preferable. Sometimes I can't do that and it takes a
> lot longer for my chiles to harvest.
>
> I find the colder temps cause the chiles to halt
> budding and flowering.
>
> I am going to plant out next week, after it stops
> raining again. I am sooooo sick of rain.
>
> RisaG, Zone 6, NJ
> http://www.geocities.com/radiorlg

Oh, Risa!  You're such an optimist!  I haven't even been able to till
my garden to get it ready for the seeds I haven't even tried to get
going (it was too cold and snowy forever, then too cold and rainy
forever).  All my reading has shown that you really shouldn't till a
marsh, you know?  (We're in Central Tax Hell, known to some of you as
Central Mass.)  If we manage to grow nothing else this season, we're
shooting for growing habaneros indoors at least.  My chinchis and
habaneros have cohabited too long, so I'm no longer sure what to call
the chinchis.  Habchis?  Chinbaneros?  They now grow yellow or orange,
habanero colours, instead of their proper red.  I figure on planting
some indoors and seeing what they do this generation.  We're still
getting nights in the 40s here.  There's little hope of getting the
garden ready in time to have anything ripe by the end of the summer.
We had a real gully washer last night, too.  I don't *think* the
garden has washed down the hill, yet...

                                -babs