Re: [CH] #@$!* Chipmunks

Gary Bellinger (yesgaz@itcanada.com)
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:42:09 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "T. Matthew Evans" <tmattevans@yahoo.com>
To: "Chile Heads" <Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 11:31 AM
Subject: [CH] #@$!* Chipmunks

> I am a nice guy.  Really, I am.  I have even started to get a soft spot
for my
> wife's cat because my six-month-old daughter loves it so much.
>
> But, I have almost had it with chipmunks.  I have yet to get a single
tomato
> from my garden (who knew chipmunks ate tomatoes?), none of my chile plants
have
> leaves on the lower six inches or so (look like chile trees), and I am at
my
> wits end.

I can empathize with you Matt. While I have never had trouble with those
cute little chipmunks, I have suffered much grief due to squirrels and
rabbits who I consider both to be vermin and should be eradicated. They are
evil little furry creatures, the squirrels nothing better than rats with big
fluffy tails. (Squirrel stew recipes are welcome). These two sad excuses for
wildlife have wiped out tomato plants, beans (non-campfire variety),
peppers, onions and countless flowers.

> Despite my reluctance to add nitrogen at this late stage of the growing
cycle,
> I sprinkled my garden liberally with blood meal because someone told me
the
> chipmunks didn't like the smell.  Now I have a tomatoless garden that
stinks to
> high heaven.  I have CDs hanging in my garden.  I set out a "humane" trap
> capture and transport chipmunks.  I put the cat outside.  All to no avail.

We have used blood meal to some degree of success as it is supposed to make
the evil, despicable little varmints think there is something bigger lurking
about killing miserable little creatures of God who they want to avoid.

> So, List -- how do I get rid of chipmunks?  I have tried to be pleasant
about
> this up until now, but if I need to kill them at this point, I will.
>
> Matt

So, that don't work eh? Maybe you could pipe some music by Cher out to drive
the vermin away?

Gary CH#2169