Re: [CH] ISO: Venison & Antelope Recipes

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

Risa --

If by "tube steak" you mean loin or tenderloin, I would recommend marinating
for a few hours in gin with some fresh herbs and juniper berries.  Then cut it
down the middle and stuff it with a mixture of dried apricots and pork sausage.
 Rub the outside down with red chile, a little brown sugar, some toasted cumin,
black pepper, and kosher salt.  Wrap the whole thing in caul fat and smoke
roast it until it is done to your liking.  I would serve it with an ancho
chile-spiked hunter's sauce, stone ground grits, field (crowder) peas, and
grilled asparagus.  Serve smoked cheese and crudites with cucumber-yogurt dip
up front and follow the meal with a salad of field greens, herbs, and flowers
tossed with oven dried tomatoes and a mustardy vinaigrette.

Good luck.

Matt

--- RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My hubby came home today with a big bag of venison
> from a friend in his office who hunts. I got some stew
> meat (I know what to do with that), a roast, a salami
> (no problem there), a summer sausage, some HOT dogs,
> and a tube steak of Antelope. I have no idea what to
> do with antelope. Do I cook it the same way as
> Venison??
>
> I would think so. I don't know though.
>
> I don't need venison recipes really, just antelope.
>
> Funny I had just mentioned to a friend, whose hubby
> hunts, that I hadn't had venison in awhile. She said
> that she would give me some if she had extra by the
> end of hunting season (which just began around here -
> bow & arrow anyway).
>
> The recipes don't necessarily have to be really spicy,
> just good.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Please email me
> privately with the recipes so we don't block up the
> list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> RisaG
> http://www.geocities.com/radiorlg