Re: [CH] The Beginning of a Chile-Head

AndyB (barnhart@mfire.com)
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:52:07 -0400

Sometimes that strategy backfires.

Long, long ago ... when Doug was rather young, I took him to a Hunan
restaurant that I had newly discovered.  The chef had recently arrived
from Taiwan, so the Hunan and Szechuan dishes that were marked "Hot",
were hot -- not yet "tamed" for the american taste (this was well before
my CH times).

I ordered Moo Shoo Pork for Doug (you know -- so he could have fun
rolling up his dinner in the accompanying pancakes).  I ordered Szechuan
Beef for myself (or some such -- after all, I've lost many gray cells
sense then).

When the dinners arrived, doug said:  "Dad, what do you have there? --
what is it? -- can I try some?  -- I want to try some!"

"Doug,", I said, quite inadvertently and unknowingly applying reverse
physiology, "this is very spicy hot - far to hot for you."

Well, I lost most of my Szechuan Beef to Doug, and had to settle for
rolling up the Moo Shoo Pork for myself (at least I got some
chile-pepper oil from the waiter).

Thereby hangs the tale of the start of a major CH!

AndyB