Re: [CH] a whirlwind of possibilities

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:59:55 -0500

Alex Silbajoris wrote:

> Well, we had a freeze overnight, so this must be it for the peppers in
> my gardens.  Now I have a mix of pod varieties and states of ripeness.
> And with other things on hand, there is a cloud of ingredients and
> probabilities, waiting to precipatate products in my kitchen.

> I have a lot of orange habs.  I just got a 2-for-1 deal on onions.  I
> have carrots.  I also have ginger that needs to be pulled out of the
> garden.  I have oranges.  I have green baking apples.  And today I'm
> going to a pumpkin farm - I am thinking of making a pie filling with
> just a light hint of orange hab, that might make some kind of appearance
> at the hotluck in Madison next April.

> I also have a lot of red super chiles, some of which I will save for
> seed.  There are a lot of green serranos, and some red ones.  There
> should be some fat ripe jalapenos in the patch at my parents' house.
> Then I have unripe pods of many types.

> I think this will probably be another time when I run the food processor
> out on the patio table, along with the big Coleman camping stove.
> *cracks knuckles* and I have an unopened box of 8-oz canning jjars...

I'm not getting fancy with any of this. The aroma of drying chilies
wafts through Chez Dirty as trays full of Big Jim and Biker Billy are
dried and stored in old coffee cans until I get around to grinding them
to powder.

It smells so good all through the house that I may go to the
stupormarkup every few weeks during the winter to buy a pound or two of
mixed chilies to put in the dehydrator. My locals only whack us
U$2.99/lb no matter the variety of "hot pepper".   Bv)>

--
ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!