Re: [CH] Is this list still working?

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Go to Mexico.  ;)  But, buy bottled water.  Seriously.  I've had "Mexican" food as far south as
Yuma.  The real thing doesn't compare.  You CAN find "authentic" cuisine, but you have to really
look for it.  Even some of the border towns in Mexico are somewhat "Americanized"...you gotta do
what you gotta do to get the gringos to buy.

Also, just like America, the food changes from region to region, so in actuality, "authentic" is a
relative term.  But, the ambiance of eating in Mexico can't be beat.  Sorry, that's a bad joke.
;)  You can find some awesome places in LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Texas in general, Albequerque,
etc. all along the southern swathe of the US.  What's the best way to find out?  Ask the folks at
the hotel you're staying at.  Most of the workers are Latino, so ask them.  Ask at a gas station,
etc.  Ask a fireman!!!!! They always know the good places to eat.  Right Jim?! hehehehehehehe  ;)

Ironically, just like in Mexico where blocks of stores are "owned" by a single merchant (if you
haven't experienced this, it's a riot) many of the more "authentic" Mexican restaurants are
commonly owned by the same person.  When living in Arizona, I learned "authentic" USUALLY meant it
wasn't a chain of stores like Chi-Chi's or On the Border or Chiles....etc.  Case in point, "Texas
Roadhouse" didn't originate in Texas.  It originated in Clarkesville, Indiana.  ;) Anyway, to make
a long story short, I'm always looking for the out-of-the way restaurants...mom and pop places.
May not be spick and span clean or decorated like a 5 star restaurant, but most of the time, the
food is great.  (An example, go to Two Sister's Restaurant up in Rochester Michigan.  Not the
fanciest places by all means, but it is 100% authentic Polish comfort food.  All the stuff I grew
up with as a kid, they serve it....every day Polish food, nothing fancy).

Ted

--- Bill & Linda Moats <moats@valint.net> wrote:
> Well heck, I'll kick it up a notch. We would like to take a vacation where
> we could get the best variety of  authentic Mexican food. Where would that
> be? Chicago and Rick Bayless? Mexico City ? Albuquerque? Oaxaca? Somewhere
> in Texas? Certainly not here in Milton-Freewater, Oregon. Let fly!
>
> Ola!

=====
Signal Corps:  -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing...