Re: [CH] (auth.Mex.food) was: Is this list still working?

Jesse [CH1200] G. (CH1200@comcast.net)
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:07:24 -0600

Hi Moats & CHs,

Milton-Freewater... Looks agricultural... isn't it?  If so, haven't some
of the temporary ag-workers from south of El Rio Grande settled and set
up a store/restaurant named "La Chiquita" or something?  They have in
INDIANA: Monticello, Fort Wayne, South Bend... and all 'round Indy.
They're rather authentic. (Maybe Ted Wagner can vouch?)

Quien es Rick Bayless?

In Chicago, seek out the Pilsen neighborhood, or Little Village, or
South Chicago.  On this side if the border (Illinois-Indiana), it's East
Chicago, Hammond, and even suburbs like Highland and Schererville,
Indiana.

On the "authentic" note: Mexico is a rather BIG country.  Regions of
Mexico have their own "specialties," if you will.  Best nachos and "pork
tacos" around here are made by a Mexi-restaurant owned by PUERTO RICANs.
(Mexican cooks, natcherly.)  The diner owned by Jalisco-rooted Mexicans
has no such "pork tacos,"  but a SLIGHTLY similar "carne adobada."
(They supply the red & green salsas I take to Open Fields.) And I
*still* can't figger out what region makes a meat dish with apples in
it, as requested by Indy Vic of me, YEARS ago. And so on. What a country!

Hasta la lista,
Jesse G.
CH#1200 & one of a few [token?] latino-americanos on La Lista