Re: [CH] (auth.Mex.food) was: Is this list still working?

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:57:42 -0800 (PST)

Jesse, yes, that rings a bell.  I haven't visited there, but I have heard it is good.

George, you out there?  That ring a bell to you ?

Ted

--- "Jesse [CH1200] G." <CH1200@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Moats & CHs,
>
> Milton-Freewater... Looks agricultural... isn't it?  If so, haven't some
> of the temporary ag-workers from south of El Rio Grande settled and set
> up a store/restaurant named "La Chiquita" or something?  They have in
> INDIANA: Monticello, Fort Wayne, South Bend... and all 'round Indy.
> They're rather authentic. (Maybe Ted Wagner can vouch?)
>
> Quien es Rick Bayless?
>
> In Chicago, seek out the Pilsen neighborhood, or Little Village, or
> South Chicago.  On this side if the border (Illinois-Indiana), it's East
> Chicago, Hammond, and even suburbs like Highland and Schererville,
> Indiana.
>
> On the "authentic" note: Mexico is a rather BIG country.  Regions of
> Mexico have their own "specialties," if you will.  Best nachos and "pork
> tacos" around here are made by a Mexi-restaurant owned by PUERTO RICANs.
> (Mexican cooks, natcherly.)  The diner owned by Jalisco-rooted Mexicans
> has no such "pork tacos,"  but a SLIGHTLY similar "carne adobada."
> (They supply the red & green salsas I take to Open Fields.) And I
> *still* can't figger out what region makes a meat dish with apples in
> it, as requested by Indy Vic of me, YEARS ago. And so on. What a country!
>
> Hasta la lista,
> Jesse G.
> CH#1200 & one of a few [token?] latino-americanos on La Lista
>
> Bill & Linda Moats wrote:
> > we could get the best variety of authentic Mexican food. Where would
> > that be? Chicago and Rick Bayless? Mexico City ? Albuquerque? Oaxaca?
> > Somewhere in Texas? Certainly not here in Milton-Freewater, Oregon.
> > Let fly!

=====
Signal Corps:  -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing...