RE: [CH] Hot Popcorn

Kitajo, Todd HPP (Todd.Kitajo@heidelberg.com)
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:20:54 -0500

Hot popcorn, eh?

One of the earliest methods of I came up with to "charge" standard microwave popcorn up was using a larger diameter soda straw. I would fill this up with cayenne or pepper flakes, and wait until the microwave popcorn bag just started to "blossom" from the initial moisture release of the popcorn. When the bag was up to size, it would break the vent seal at the mouth of the bag. I would then pop the door open, insert the straw into the vent opening and dump the hot stuff into and towards the back of the bag, quickly remove the straw, shut the door and hit start. If I was quick, this could be accomplished in a few seconds. Oh, I also added about 10 to 15 seconds onto the initial pop time to compensate for the brief interruption and associated loss of popping momentum.

Some friends and I have since gone beyond this have experimented with microwave popping in a Pyrex glass bowl using commercial grade popping oil (tastes like the movies!) and various seasonings. Just adding a small amount of red pepper flakes or chile oil to the popping oil gives heat to every kernel!

We buy the popcorn at a wholesale grocery outlet (12.5 lbs for less than $4.00), as well as the popping oil and seasonings.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of T. Matthew Evans
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 1:52 PM
To: BackyardGardener.com; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Re: [CH] Hot Popcorn

I just sprinkle some ground chile on my pocorn after it comes off the stove
(i.e., when I salt it).  I think it's fantastic -- I've tried fatalli,
chocolate habanero (what's better with popcorn than chocolate?), "mutt",
Hungarian black, ancho, chipotle, and guajillo, among many others.  Next, I'll
be trying some of JohnT's mesquite smoked C. pubescens on my popcorn.

Matt

=====