RE: [CH] Blue Garlic and ISO Uncle Dirty Dave

Vince Huebert
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:20:23 -0600

Unlurking for the briefest of moments.  I have pickled mixed veggies before
and included a couple of large cloves of garlic in the jar.  They usually
turn a bluish purple and taste fantastic.  I didn't think of a health hazard
and just ate them.  As long as the jar is sealed and you used the proper
amounts of vinegar and salt and processed it for the appropriate amount of
time, I'd eat away.
Vince in Omaha
wishing it was time to plant

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of T. Matthew Evans
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:11 AM
To: Chile Heads
Subject: [CH] Blue Garlic and ISO Uncle Dirty Dave

Dave --

A while back you posted a recipe for hot sauce that was basically:  "Put
half
garlic and half dried chiles in a Mason jar, salt, cover with vinegar".
I've
always wanted to try it and finally did a few weeks ago.  When I open the
jar,
it smells fantastic and the chiles are now fully rehydrated, but the garlic
has
turned blue.  Is this a problem?  Does it happen in your sauce?  I know
about
the dangers of garlic and botulism, but I wouldn't think it would be a
problem
when everything is submerged in vinegar.  Does anyone else have thoughts on
this?

Thanks.

Matt

=====