Re: [CH] Cabbage as pH indicator.

Rael64 (z42dkm@yahoo.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:09:11 -0800 (PST)

--- Cameron Begg <begg@ceof.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
> Hi C-H's,
>
> I was trying to find a suitable book of chemistry
> experiments for Gavin's birthday and came across
> instructions for making an indicator solution out of
> red cabbage. Basically whizz the cabbage up in cold
> water (could use distilled if your tap water is not
> close to pH 7) and use the liquid which

Ah...yes, cuz red cabbage in my tap water turns
violet-blue.  I heard a tale of a chef filling
just-washed wine glasses with a new/young wine, which
promptly turned blue and freaked him (and guests) out.
 Fun with chemistry, baby!

Peace, Hendrix, and Chiles.......
Rael"...chemistry,hmmm?...detergent, corn syrup, light
bulb, and..."64