Re: [CH] news item: El Paso Pepper Producer (chipotles) V8 #755

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

Peter G, et al.,

I seriously doubt that it is peroxyacetic acid (POA acid).  POA acid is a
significant explosion risk with a flash point of 40.5 C and an explosion point
of 105 C.  Furthermore, it has the potential to react violently with organics
(e.g., chiles) and is toxic via inhalation, skin exposure, and ingestion.
While these properties do not inherently prohibit the use of POA acid on
chiles, I cannot image why someone would use POA acid in lieu of an H2O2
solition, especially if they are going to be exposing the chiles to heat (e.g.,
smoking chipotles).

Matt

=====