Re: [CH] recipe request

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 12 May 2004 07:41:19 -0500

Doug Irvine wrote:

> Helen L. Gillis wrote:
>
>  Hi All -
> De-lurking for a moment to ask for spicy recipes for the NEW TOY. Fry
> Daddy. I don't have any good fritter recipes, etc. Any suggestions??
> Sadly, won't have enough time to grow anything from seed. Buying
> plants to put in pots this weekend :-)

> Thanks in advance - Helen

This ain't strictly "fritters" but it's one of my favourite batters for
deep-frying. I often use club soda in place of part or all of the water
for a lighter batter - you  may want to experiment with that. If you
make the batter using beer - try to use beer with some bubbles left in
it. And stout overwhelms the flavour of the food.

Chile powders may be added to any of these batters - reduce the amount
of flour by the amount of chile added.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Tempura Batter I
  Categories: Japan, Basics
       Yield: 1 servings

   1 1/2 c  All-purposes flour
   1 1/2 c  Beer

   Contributed by Wayne Brunotte.

   The Beer can be active or flat, cold or at room tempurature. Combine
   flour and beer in a large bowl and blend thouroughly, using a whisk.

   Cover the bowl and allow the batter to sit at room temperature for 3
   hours.

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 07 September 2000

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen - An ORIENTALFOOD.COM Recipe

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Tempura Batter II
  Categories: Japan, Basics
       Yield: 1 servings

       1    Egg yolk
            Ice water
       1 c  Plain flour

   Contributed by Winnie from Malaysia!

   In a measuring cup, put egg yolk and water to measure 200 ml. Pour
   into a small bowl and mix lightly. Add flour and blend only lightly.

   Important : Use ice cold water and do not 'stir' but combine lightly,
   flour lumps still floating. Deep-fry a few pieces at a time for a
   crisp and light tempura.

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 07 September 2000

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen - An ORIENTALFOOD.COM Recipe

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Tempura Batter III
  Categories: Japan, Basics
       Yield: 1 servings

       1    Egg
       2 tb Flour
       2 tb Cornstarch
       2 tb Water
       1 ts Salt
       2 ts Vegetable oil
     1/4 ts Baking soda
     1/4 ts White pepper

   Contributed by Karla. I have an electric stove and this works for me.

   Mix all. Soak meat in the batter in fridge for 20 minutes. Fry at 350
   degrees F oil until "lightly" brown. remove and then fry again at 375
   degrees F until "golden" brown.

   In addition to tempura, this batter can also be used for any type of
   deep frying batter.

   Here is a review from Paul Beke at the Forum, "Karla, Tried your
   recipie for tempura batter and it is the BEST I have ever tried. It
   really adheres great and tastes even better. Thanks for the tip".

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 07 September 2000

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen - An ORIENTALFOOD.COM Recipe

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Tempura (Japanese Shrimp and Vegetables in Batter)
  Categories: Shellfish, Vegetables, Sauces, Mushrooms, Japanese
       Yield: 6 Servings

     1/2 lb Eggplant; small one
      18    Canned ginnan (ginkgo nuts)
            -Drained
       1 lb Raw shrimp (16 to 20 per lb.
            -Shelled and deveined
      12    Snow peas, fresh or frozen
            -And defrosted
       6    White mushrooms; cut in half
       1 md Sweet potato (about 1/2 lb.)
            -Peeled and sliced into 1/4
            -Inch thick rounds
            Vegetable oil
     1/2 c  Flour

MMMMM---------------------------BATTER--------------------------------
       1    Egg yolk
       2 c  Ice-cold water
     1/8 ts Baking soda
   1 2/3 c  Flour

MMMMM-----------------------DIPPING SAUCE----------------------------
   1 1/2 c  Soba tsuyu or 1/4 cup
            Ajishio

   *(makes about 3 cups)

   The following recipes are called "agemono, " literally, "fried
   things." Japanese frying techniques are similar to those of the West
   but because of the close attention paid to the batter with which the
   food is often coated and to the conditions and temperature of the
   oil, Japanese fried foods are especially notable for their delicacy.

   To deep-fry, fill a deep-fat fryer or heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet or
   casserole to a depth of 3 inches with vegetable oil( or a combination
   of vegetable and sesame seed oil).  Heat the oil until it registers
   375 degrees (F) on a deep-fat-frying thermometer.

   To keep the oil clean during the frying , use a mesh skimmer or
   metal spatula to remove food particles from the oil as they appear.

   The "tempura" recipe below by no means encompasses all the
   ingredients that may be used.  In addition to the ones listed below,
   substitutions or additions might include 1/4 inch thick slices of
   fish fillets; 1/4 inch wide strips of carrot; blanched, quartered
   bamboo shoot; blanched string beans; 1/4 inch wide strips of lotus
   root; skewered sections of scallions; or small asparagus stalks.

   PREPARE AHEAD:

   1. Peel the eggplant, but leave occasional 1/2 inch wide strips of
   purple skin to add color to the finished dish. Cut the eggplant in
   half lengthwise, then cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Wash in cold
   water, pat thoroughly dry with paper towels, and set aside.

   2.  Skewer 3 ginkgo nuts on each of 6 toothpicks.

   3.  Dip the shrimp in the flour, and vigorously shake off the excess.

   4.  To prepare the batter, combine 1 egg yolk with 2 cups of ice-cold
   water and 1/8 ts. of baking soda in a large mixing bowl.  Sift in the
   flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.  The batter should be
   somewhat thin and watery and run easily off the spoon.  If it is too
   thick, thin it with drops of cold water.  Ideally, the batter should
   be used shortly after being made, but it may wait if necessary for no
   longer than 10 minutes.

   TO COOK: Preheat the oven to 250 degrees (F). Since tempura must be
   served hot, the most practical way to cook tempura is to divide the
   ingredients into individual portions, placing them on separate sheets
   of wax paper so that a complete serving--composed of 3 shrimp, 2 snow
   peas, 2 mushroom halves, 3 ginkgo nuts, or slice of sweet potato--can
   be fried at a time and kept warm in the oven while the remaining
   portions are being fried.

   Heat the oil as described in the introduction above, until it
   registers 375 degrees (F) on a deep fat thermometer.

   Dip one piece of food at a time into the batter, twirling it
   around to coat it, then drop it into the pan.  Fry only 6 or 8 pieces
   of food at a time.  Turn the pieces with chopsticks or tongs after
   one minute, and fry another minute, or until they are a light gold.
   Drain on paper towels, arrange a serving of food on an individual
   plate or in a basket and keep warm in the oven for no longer than 5
   minutes. skim the oil, check the temperature of the oil, and fry the
   remaining portions.

   TO SERVE:

   Each serving of tempura should be accompanied by a small dish of one
   of the tempura dipping sauces.  although this recipe will serve 6 as
   a main course, smaller amounts of tempura are often served as part of
   a 5-course Japanese dinner or as a first course.

   Time/Life 'Foods of the World', Recipes: The Cooking of Japan

   FROM: Earl Cravens

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!

... A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest burglar.
-- H. L. Mencken