Re: [CH] Best Vinegar for Hot Sauces...

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:16:40 -0500

I agree about the pH level being what is most important if you don't intend to refrigerate your sauce.  A pH of 4.6 and below is what is necessary & I never let mine get above 4.2 so as to have a margin of safety.

For some reason the standards for home preserving of peppers seem to be much higher than say for tomatoes.  Tomatoes can be boiling-water processed and peppers require pressure canning.

My refrigerator is so full of home-made hot sauces sent to me by my many pod-head friends that there is barely room for beer.  And you should see the labels!!  Outrageous & outstanding.  Chile-Heads rule!

JohnT         (who is still having problems with his posts being lost in cyberspace)

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Bryant
To: enkantare@mindspring.com ; chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] Best Vinegar for Hot Sauces...

Re:
I was using just
> regular
> White distilled vinegar.  So my question:
>
> Is there a big difference in taste between the two vinegars in hot sauces?

Hi Woody,
I doubt you'd find much taste difference using either vinegar. The Apple
Cider Vinegar (if genuine) will have much more trace minerals than the
other. Seems to me, the importance of all this is to end up with a product
with low enough pH to inhibit bad critters, (like botulinum).

  I think it could be too the fluid to solid ratio too..  so maybe I
> need to work on that..

I'd pursue that.

> Also.. what about the addition of other spices.. or herbs..  Like garlic..
> or
> cilantro...  bad idea?

Not a bad idea. It gets back to pH.
Keep on keepin on!