Re: [CH] Thai Piquin? (also a question on Chiltepin/Chiltepe)

Jim Graham (spooky130@cox.net)
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:14:10 -0500

Following up on my own post, thanks to information from three ladies
at work (all three are Thai)....

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 09:31:59PM -0500, Jim Graham wrote:
> I've got some (dried) peppers that a friend gave me last year (and some
> growing from seeds planted this year---and they finally started making
> peppers today...YEAH!).  He told me they were called "Thai piquins".
> However, I've yet to find any reference to this pepper on the net.

Direct from a reliable source (well, three):  they are Thai peppers,
and they are piquins (or pequins).  They are called Thai p[ei]quins.
And one (don't know her name yet), who told me that Prik Ki Nus are
mild Thai peppers, pointed at these babies and said "they hot" ....
Another quickly pointed out that they don't use them dried---only
fresh, but hey, that's how I got 'em, so.....

She also identified a mystery pepper I've mentioned here a few times.
It's not a hybrid, as I thought---it's just another variety of Thai
pepper---one that starts off extremely mild when green, and goes to
the other end of the spectrum when it's ripe (red).

Leave it to three Thai chefs to know their peppers (well, the Thai
varieties, anyways)....  Now, if I can just get them to cook something
for me and bring it to work....  :-}

The question on TX chiltepins vs chiltepe (same thing, different name?)
still stands....

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"
spooky130@cox.net       | Dave Aronson:    As your life flashes before