Re: [CH] Good English mustard

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 06:50:28 -0500

Styx wrote:

> Doug
> "Good English mustard"
> I had an old English friend that said English mustard came from England
> and not China, or Chinese mustard that you usually use at a Chinese
> restaurant. I took it meaning that the Chinese got the mustard from
> England? Do you think that's true?

Your "Olde English" friend was as right as a Pom ever gets. On the Fido
Cooking echo we expolred the origins of mustard and found that it is so
widespread as to be nearly universal. The main reason that some folks
think that Chinese came from England is that most recipes for that call
for Colman's Mustard Powder - and Colman's (the most commonly available)
is a product of Blighty ... by appointment to HRH etc. and everything.

Wanna  have some fun sometime? Add a lot of turmeric to some English or
Chinese mustard and put it in a French's Prepared Mustard squeeze bottle
at your next hot dog cook out. Let people discover it on their own.
(Evil Grin)

--
ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!

... In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money
as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
--Voltaire   (1764)