Re: [CH] How about using royal bohemien mustard

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 06:39:01 -0500

Doug Irvine wrote:

> Hey, this old Canuck was brought up on that stuff! Good English mustard,
> mixed with enough water to make a paste, a few grains of salt, and let
> it sit for an hour...whoooeeee! It'll tear the top of your head off. Now
> I mix it with a little dry white wine as well. East Indians use mustard
> oil on sore joints, and there is a warning on the bottle, For External
> use Only! When I was a kid in the 30s we had roast beef & yorkshire
> pudding, every other week, and of course we had mustard. It, along with
> home made pickles, and chile sauce(with NO chiles)was the only condiment
> at our house during the dirty thirties. Even though my father was well
> employed throughout the whole of the depression. We were lucky to not
> have any problems during that time, as my father worked at Ford Motors
> in Toronto for 20 years, right up until WW2. So, my memories of that
> mustard are very Keen:-)! that deserves a boo hiss! Cheers, Doug in BC

That sounds like what I know as "Chinese" mustard. What I have for
"English" mustard is a bit different. And adding the wine takes things
toward DiJon Style Mustard. Here are the recipes that I use (when I peek
  at a recipe, that is) for the respective styles of mustard:

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: English Mustard
  Categories: Condiments, Beer, Chile-heads
       Yield: 1 Batch

       1 c  Brown mustard seeds
     1/4 c  Yellow mustard seeds
       1 c  Dark beer
   1 1/4 c  Mustard powder combined with
       1 c  Water (let sit 20 min.)
       1 ts Sugar
       1 ts Salt
       1 ts Ground allspice
     1/4 ts Ground turmeric
     1/4 ts Ground mace

   Combine all ingredients. Mix well. Stir before serving in
   case separation has occured.

   From: Judy Howle; Chile-Heads List

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Chinese Mustard
  Categories: Chinese, Herb
       Yield: 6 Servings

     1/4 c  Boiling water
     1/4 c  Dry  Colman's mustard
     1/2 ts Salt
       2 ts Salad oil

   Stir boiling water into dry Colman's mustard. Add salt and
   salad oil. For yellower color, add a little turmeric.

   From: Kaz Langridge

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!

... If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal.
  If you want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative.
If you want government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If
you don't want government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist.
--Joseph Sobran, Editor of the National Review at one time (1995)