Re: [CH] Mike spam/virus

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (johnfentner@comcast.net)
Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:45:28 -0400

Dave Drum (Uncle Dirty Dave) wrote:

> Byron wrote:
>
>> Mike
>>
>> FWIW
>>
>> On or about 11/04/03   I switched my mail/browser to mozilla  ( same
>> programming language as Netscape/Mac ~ Gecko but for Pee Cee)
>> www.mozilla.com
>>
>> I also added Mailwasher  for e-mail. ( now $37  for lifetime)
>>
>> Between the 2  I blocked about 1,600 spammers per day
>>
>> It takes a little tweaking  but in the long run it's worth it  (I am
>> now 99.99% spam/virus free)
>>
>> I went from 1,600  spams to 12 per day. The 12 are auto deleted
>>
>> Sorry  I promote only 3 items on the net,  Jim Campell is the other .
>> ($$ disclaimer)
>>
>> L.B.
>

> Mozilla is a great browser/emailer. I've been using it since Netscrap
> went over to the dark side (AOL) and tossed all the core programmers -
> who went to (guess where) Mozilla. There is also a Linux version of
> Mozilla. I haven't seen the need for Mailwasher as the spam catcher in
> Thunderbird (Mozilla's Stand Alone e-mailer) and the definable filters
> automatically send 99% of my spam to the JUNK folder.
>
> And it doesn't have the security holes of Internet Exploder/Outlook
> Express or Always Over Loaded's software.

'Nother vote for Netscape (ver 7.2 just out) and/or Mozilla (I use
both).  First class spam filter which learns as it goes, 100% popup
killer, tabbed browsing etc.  All the stuff that Mr. Bill is gonna add
to IE and Outlook (real soon now) that NS & Mozilla have had for years.

For security all of the following are (a) great and (b) FREE:

AVG anti-virus:  http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_index.php
WinPatrol:  http://www.winpatrol.com/
AdAware:  http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot Search and Destroy:  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Spyware Blaster:  http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

The free versions of WinPatrol and AdAware are so good I even sprung for
the upgraded pay versions for the extra bells and whistles. Good stuff
at the right price...sorta like Br'er Jim's stuff and almost as hot.

All the usual disclaimers.

JB

--
John Benz Fentner, Jr.