[CH] Key West Recommendations?

John Benz Fentner, Jr. (johnfentner@comcast.net)
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:50:32 -0500

Jeremy Farnham wrote:

> You can't miss this place:
>
> http://www.peppersofkeywest.com/
>
> It is a short walk down Greene Street from Sloppy Joes. The people are
> great and they have a tasting bar....make sure you ask for the stuff in
> the fridge...if you can take the heat!

Yep...nice selection of commercial stuff and their own sauces were
pretty good. I hadda sample of their razberry hab sauce that gave me
galloping head sweat hiccups. Prices are on the high side (expected in a
tourist trap town) but not unreasonable.

A necessary stock up stop as every place in Key West has Tabasco on the
table but nobody had anything good.

Two Caveats:

1. Take the posted business hours with a Key West grain of salt. Opening
time of "tennish" turned out to be 10:45.

2.  Bring beer. Really.  You'll get a hosted tour of their (6 feet long)
sample bar.

BTW: Sloppy Joe's was a disappointment. Loud, over priced, incredibly
overcrowded, lousy sloppy joe (OK, I hadda try one) and no good beers.
Better bet is Capt. Tony's Saloon (the original Sloppy Joe's and the
oldest bar in Key West), 'bout three doors west across Duval Street on
Greene St. They don't serve food (but you can smoke cheep ceegars in the
bar) and not much good beer (they do have Yuengling on tap branded as
Capt. Tony's Ale) but they have great live entertainment (spent a whole
afternoon listening to an incredible guitar player named Carl Peachy)
plus a hanging tree, real graves and a haunted Ladies Room (It's a long
story). The locals hang out there and leave the tourists to Sloppy Joe's.

JB