Re: [CH] Relabeled Hot Sauces

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 28 May 2005 07:08:26 -0500

Dan Turkette wrote:

> Panola is a one of the reprobates as are most of them in Louisiana. However,
> marketing is what it's all about. We use a couple of firms to produce some
> private label stuff for us, and one of them has more than 30 companies using
> around 10 sauces for well over 45 products.

I actually like Panola's Jalapeno sauce.

> Think about private label veggies, soups or pet food in your grocery store.
> Chances are if it says Meijer or Wal-Mart it was most like produced by Del
> Monte or Heinz-Kerry - same stuff different label.

That is not necessarily true... even if the stuff is canned on the
same line in the same factory. If one can decode the USDA
"establishment number" labeling one can see where the stuff was made.
But, not the formula or quality standards contracted for.

Chilli Man (establishment #1422)which was begun by my friend, Joe
DeFrates, (www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Detail.asp?RecipeID=9)
cans chilli (and other things) for a range of folks. Some use the
Chilli Man recipe for chilli (Aldi's Range Master, Cactus Annie) and
some (Schnuk's, Hyde Park, etc) do not. The canner keeps their
equipment busy and their employees working. The client avoids the
investment in infrastructure, the USDA paperwork hassles (or many of
them) and the investing in labour and training to run the
preparation/canning equipment. www.chilliman.com

My friend, Jay Nicole, who owns Ray's Chilli, has his product canned
at a custom canner who has no labeled products of his own. The whole
purpose of the company is to prepare and package product for others.
www.rayschilli.com

The hot sauce bidness may be more incestuous than that. Me? I make my
own - thank you very much. And have shared the recipe freely.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject" -- Robert
Anson Heinlein