Re: [CH] "Tabasco Sauce" is New Mexico chile!!!! relabeled ?????

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Mon, 30 May 2005 07:26:40 -0500

Perry C. Abernethy wrote:
> New Mexico doesn't knock relabeling. As you probably know McIlheney's
> famous Lousiana "Tabasco Sauce" actually comes from Cervantes Farm &
> Enterprises near La Mesa, New Mexico (near Las Cruces). Contrary to
> their fancy advertising about that little Avery Island being the sole
> source.

> http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/research/horticulture/CTF8.pdf

> http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/cayenne_trail.html

Not to quibble or anything ... but, I didn't see anything in either of
those URLs that indicate that Tabasco is being made near Lost Crutches

Indeed, the PDF from New Mexico State gets the whole thing wrong
referring to cayenne chilies being grown _for_ McIlheney. And the
Cervantes article mentions the association with McIlheney only in
passing ... as part of a sidebar caption, mostly. To wit:

"Emma Jean Cervantes, president of Cervantes Enterprises, shows a
stand of Tabasco chile grown in an experimental drip irrigation field
for the McIlhenny Company. This one of many experimental chilies grown
over the years at the Cervantes Farm near La Mesa, New Mexico."

IIRC McIlheney uses chilies grown on Avery Island as well as in a
variety of contract locations - both in the US and other nations. I
don't know - but, I assume that the non-Avery Island chile is shipped
in tankers as mash mixed with salt and maybe vinegar.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject" -- Robert
Anson Heinlein