Re: [CH] peppers and weird Midwest weather

Linda Panter (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:31:42 -0400

I have picked my first chile to. IN TORONTO!  I had a variety I
bought from a nursery generously labelled "HOT CHILI" and it
looks like a Darbol or something similar.  I picked it this
morning and will use it tomorrow in salsa probably.   Haven't
tasted yet. Also have a ton coming soon of that type, and many
others in various stages of early ready-hood.  Way early here,
too, Dorothy.  Last year it was September that we picked.

You really aren't that far from me so I guess that is no
surprise.

Linda
----- Original Message -----
From: Dorothy Sheets
To: Chile-Heads
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 8:36 PM
Subject: [CH] peppers and weird Midwest weather

Yep, I am still here, too. In DEE-troit, the weather has been
soooo hot
and humid that I have peppers ready already. In July???

For those of you in other zones, that doesn't usually happen here
in
Michigan. I picked a ripe NuMex today, roasted it and put it in
pasta.
That's very weird. Our typical pepper ripening schedule here is
at the
end of August to the beginning of September, so I am definitely
blaming
the weather. A side note: the NuMex was very MILD (tasty, but
mild)!
Ack! Usually, my peppers are a bit hotter, as well. I also have
serranos
and jalapenos ready -- so Rael's butter recipe is going to come
in very
handy. Thanks, Don!

Guess I'll just celebrate my EARLY pepper harvest here in
Michigan and
be thankful that I have a few extra weeks to use up my bounty.
Anybody
else have early crops this year?

Dot in DEE-troit (Ristra Princess)