Re: [CH] peppers and weird Midwest weather

Shaun aRe (shaun_are@zenlunatics.co.uk)
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:24:19 +0100

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:36:47 -0400
From: Dorothy Sheets <dsheets@ameritech.net>
Subject: [CH] peppers and weird Midwest weather

Yep, I am still here, too. In DEE-troit, the weather has been soooo hot
and humid that I have peppers ready already. In July???

For those of you in other zones, that doesn't usually happen here in
Michigan. I picked a ripe NuMex today, roasted it and put it in pasta.
That's very weird. Our typical pepper ripening schedule here is at the
end of August to the beginning of September, so I am definitely blaming
the weather. A side note: the NuMex was very MILD (tasty, but mild)!
Ack! Usually, my peppers are a bit hotter, as well. I also have serranos
and jalapenos ready -- so Rael's butter recipe is going to come in very
handy. Thanks, Don!

Guess I'll just celebrate my EARLY pepper harvest here in Michigan and
be thankful that I have a few extra weeks to use up my bounty. Anybody
else have early crops this year?

Dot in DEE-troit (Ristra Princess)

__________________________

Heh, I wish, but not here in the North of England! We've had some VERY good,
hot, dry and sunny weather, but for some strange reason, our peppers have
been very slow growing this year. Not just ours, and not just chiles - the
guys near us growing chiles and capsicums had slow starts and poor germ.
rates this year too for some reason. However, my little plants have started
to set flower now, so they may well fruit in good time, but with lower
yields - will just have to see I guess.

Good luck with your harvest(s)!

Shaun aRe

"May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled."