Re: [CH] Moritas

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:13:17 -0500

Jose Cisneros wrote:

> It's been eons since I last posted.
> Alas, alack.

> Anywho, I wanted to ask if there are any chileheads out that have used
> a dried pepper called Morita?
> It's has much more going for it than chipotle IMNSHO.
> Anyone have any recipes specific to this chile?

A quick scan of the Dirty Dave Archives yields two that may be of
interest. Keeping in mind that the difference between chiptole and
morita is just the difference between being made from green jalapeno
(meco) or red, ripe jalapeno (morita).

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Salsa de Chile Morita (Tipo Taquera)
  Categories: Chilies, Latino, Salsa
       Yield: 4 Bottles

     1/4 kg Green tomato; peeled
      50 g  Morita chile
       1 ts Garlic powder
       1 ts Salt
     1/4 c  Vinegar
       1 c  Water

   Remove the stems from the chilies and soak the chilies for
   20 minutes in 1/2 cup of water.

   Boil 1/2 cup of water and add the tomatoes. Bring to a
   boil again and cook for 5 minutes.

   Grind tomatoes with remaining ingredients except the
   vinegar. Put the green tomato sauce mixture back in a pan
   and bring to a boil. Add the vinegar.

   Fill bottles with the sauce leaving a centimeter of space
   between the mouth of the bottle and the cover. Close
   tightly and submerge in hot water for 20 minutes to
   sterilise the product. Cool to room temperature and store.
   The sauce should last approximately 8 months.

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 15 July 2002

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Suncorn Crusted Snapper w-Masa Tomato Broth
  Categories: Chilies, Latino, Seafood
       Yield: 4 Servings

       6    Snapper filets (4 oz ea)

MMMMM----------------------SUNCORN CRUST-----------------------------
       1 c  Toasted corn
     1/4 c  Panko (white bread crumbs)
     1/4 c  Flour
     1/2 tb Shallot; minced
       1 ts Garlic; minced
       2 ts Cilantro; chopped
       2 ts Jalapeno; minced
       1 ts Coarse salt
     1/4 ts Ground black pepper

MMMMM--------------------MASA TOMATO BROTH---------------------------
     1/2 oz Unsalted butter
       2 tb Yellow onion; medium chop
       1 ts Garlic
     3/4 c  Tomato juice
     1/2 c  Tomato; medium chop
       1    Morita chile
       1    Guaitillo chile; broken in
            -pieces
       1    Bay leaf; broken in pieces
     1/4 ts Thyme
     1/4 ts Cumin
     1/2 ts Coriander
     3/4 c  Chicken stock; de-fatted
       1    6" corn tortilla (fried) OR
            Use tortilla chips
       1 ts Lime juice
            Salt & pepper

   Make the Suncorn Crust:

   Macerate all ingredients in a Cuisinart to form a coarse
   textured meal. Set aside.

   Yield 2 cups

   Make the Masa Tomato Broth:

   1. In a large pot, melt butter and sweat (cook slowly
   without browning) onions for 2 minutes. Add garlic and
   sweat for 1 minute. Add tomato juice, tomatoes, chilies,
   bay leaf, thyme, cumin, coriander, and chicken stock.
   Bring to a boil. Slow to a simmer for 3 minutes. Add
   tortillas to soup. When tortillas are soggy, approx 2 min,
   transfer to blender. Puree until smooth.

   Season with lime juice, salt and pepper.

   Serve hot.

   Yield 3 cups

   2. Coat snapper with suncorn crust and saute on both
   sides for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer fish
   to oven and bake for 4 minutes at 350oF. Transfer onto
   plate and serve with potatoes and tomato broth.

   Recipe by: Kevin Rathbun, Chef du Jour Show, TV Food Network

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 15 June 1997

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

THERE'S A LOT OF SADNESS IN THE WORLD. Right now, as you
read this, 17 Million Americans are having SEX!

And you're on the computer! How pathetic is that???