Re: [CH] Meatballs

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:59:45 -0500

JohnT wrote:
> No, not the movie!
>
> Looking for a good basic meatball recipe.  I intend to cook them on the
> smoker and want the heat to be in the sauce and not in the meatballs.
> These are intended for use in build-it-yoself burritos.  I already have
> several cheesy sauce ideas, but could use some help there too.  Am a big
> fan of Ricco's aged cheddar cheese sauce that get in institutional size
> cans and Pace Chunky Salsa. (Not so bad as you might think even before
> doctoring up)
>
> Already spent several hours the last few days looking through my two fav
> sources for recipe ideas:
>
> http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/risag_idx.html
>
> http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/dirvine_idx.html
>
> No Calvin's powder in my pantry!  Boo hoo....
>
> No need to be calorie or cholesterol conscious here.  I use lots of lard
> and like my burgers greasy with a lot of cheese.  Am thinking ground
> beef and ground pork for the base.  No ground fowl.  Never had lamb in
> my life so don't have a clue if worthwhile addition or not.  Even saw
> kangaroo meat in a meatloaf or meatball recipe someplace.  Not sure if
> local Sam's Club carries that or not...

> Any help would be appreciated.

The meatballs in this recipe are pretty good. I've made this several
times - with and without the tortilla cups - to good effect each time.
Recipe scales up nicely ... and all spice/heat measurements are
suggestions only ... especially the heat/chile measurements.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

       Title: Albondigas En Salsa Chipotle(Meatballs in Chipotle Sauce)
  Categories: Chilies, Pork, Beef, Latino, Appetizers
       Yield: 6 Servings

MMMMM-------------------------MEATBALLS------------------------------
     1/2 lb Beef; ground fine
     1/2 lb Pork; ground fine
     1/3 c  Onions; fine chopped
       2 tb Flour
       1 tb Cilantro; fresh minced
     1/2 ts Oregano; dried
     1/4 ts Cumin; ground (or more)
       1    Egg; beaten
       3 tb Vegetable oil

MMMMM---------------------------SAUCE--------------------------------
       1 tb Vegetable oil
       1    Onion; chopped
       2 cl Garlic; chopped
       1 c  Tomato sauce
       2    Chipotles; canned in adobo
            -sauce, stemmed and chopped
       2 tb Adobo sauce (from chilies)
     1/2 c  Beef broth

MMMMM-----------------------TORTILLA CUPS----------------------------
       6    Flour tortillas (6 inch)
            Vegetable oil for frying
            Chopped lettuce

   Meatballs:
   Combine all the meatball ingredients, except the oil, and mix well.
   Form into 1 1/2-inch balls.  Brown the meatballs in the oil, remove,
   and keep warm.

   Sauce:
   To make the sauce, add the oil to the pan and saute the onion and
   garlic until soft.  Add the remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a
   boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the
   sauce is thickened. Place the sauce in a blender or food processor
   and puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan, add the
   meatballs, and heat through.

   Tortilla Cups:
   To make the tortilla cups, pour the oil to a depth of 3 inches and
   heat to 375 degrees.  Place a tortilla in the oil and let it float
   for a couple of seconds.  Press the center into the oil with a can
   or ladle to form a bowl and fry until crisp, remove, and drain.

   To serve, place the lettuce in each of the tortilla cups, top with
   the albondigas, and serve.

   Source: Chile Pepper Magazine, December 1994

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more
and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and
glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's
desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

-- H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)